Shatadhauta Ghrita (100 times washed ghee) is a traditional ayurvedic preparation prepared by washing clarified butter fat (cow ghee)one hundred times with water.
This process transforms the ghee into a soft, cooling, nourishing, silky unguent that is used as a traditional moisturizer and anti-wrinkle skin cream. SDG is a highly concentrated emollient, processed by hand which is excellent for damaged skin as ghee penetrates and nourishes all seven layers of tissue.
A special but very simple ghee preparation is used in numerous skin conditions like burns, wound scars, skin marks, burning sensation; herpes etc. It produces radiant and glowing skin, especially for people with easily inflamed skin. It can be used as a daily face and body moisturizer or for facial massage. Apply it for the hot issues of skin like sunburn, eczema and rosacea etc.
Method of Preparation
- The procedure is very simple.
- Take appropriate amount of ghee in a shallow copper vessel.
- Add sufficient quantity of water(preferably cool but not ice-cold) to it and perform a Kneading action as if you are cleaning it.
- After sometime (around 5-10 minutes) allow the mixture to settle and then drain off the clear water above.
- Then again add fresh water and continue mixing.
- Do this procedure for 100 times.
- The efficacy increases with each washing.
- After washing it becomes sookshma and penetrates into skin very fast.
- (Preferably copper vessel is used to make this preparation as it’s said to have antimicrobial properties.)
- To enhance the cooling and astringent action of this ointment herbal churnas of Palash, Vata, Udumber, Ashwatha etc. can be added to it.
Changes after washing
- As the 100 times washing is complete, ghee turns to white color.
- It will be smoother to touch and will have butter like consistency.When you touch it,you can appreciate that it is lot cooler.
- Collect the SDG from copper vessel and transfer it in a clean tight glass bottle and use as per need.
- Since this ghee eventually contains some remnant moisture inside,it is not ideal to store it for more than six months.It should be stored in a clean, dry air tight container. Over exposure to air will cause foul smell.
- In warmer weather, refrigerating this cream is advisable.
Directions to use
- Rub a small dab of SDG directly on the affected area.
- It should be used for external application only.
- SDG is widely used for external application for Dahashamana(cooling) property especially for burning wounds.
- It is also used as a base part for many creams/ointments.
- It’s excellent for reducing vitiated Vata and Pitta complaints on the skin.
- Aids in rebuilding of dermal tissue, supporting healing of skin.
- Soothes pain due to skin irritation.
- Decreases inflammation.
- SDG helps to heal burns; minimizes scarring from new wounds; is extremely cooling for pitta skin irritations, such as psoriasis, rosacea, eczema etc.It has calming effect on reddish or burned skin and other minor skin problems.
- It is an excellent Astringent, Moisturizer, Anti-wrinkle & Cleansing cream. Can be used as a daily moisturizer for the face and whole body.
- SDG is used to relieve burning sensation, to relieve burn wounds, wound scar,herpes wounds, chicken pox scars, etc.
- In Ayurvedic leech therapy, after the treatment, to reduce the burning sensation and to check further bleeding, this ghee is applied on the affected area.
- It can be used to relieve burning sensation after Agnikarma (thermal cauterization) procedure also.
- In pregnant woman,with unexplained bleeding or spotting, traditionally, it is advised to apply this SDG around umbilicus.
Point to be noted
- As it is made of butter it becomes one of the best moisturizers.But if your skin is already acutely oily and your prakriti(constitution) is Kaphaj and your Kapha dosha is vitiated then SDG is not recommended till vitiation becomes normal.
Can be also used in following conditions
- Cracks on feet
- Cracks and dryness of lips (especially in winter)
- Anal Fissures
- External Piles
- Nappy rash in newborns and babies
- Chicken pox scars
- Herpes wounds (visarpa in ayurveda)
- Burn wounds
- Dry irritated skin
- Burning sensation of feet (Pada daha)
- Mouth ulcer
- Cuts and wounds
- Striae Gravidarum etc.
- It is a common notion that ghee is used only orally.But in ayurveda,SDG is extensively used for skin care externally.
- This traditional ayurvedic skin cream is completely natural and chemical free. It is the most amazing all purpose health and beauty product everybody should have in their first aid kit.
- SDG is useful in minor skin conditions,for severe and chronic conditions consult your nearest ayurvedic physician.
Stay Healthy !